• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Comparison Review 2024 Tyrolia Bindings

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
2024-Tyrolia-Ski-Binding-Sliders-SkiTalk-Pugliese-Petersen.jpg
MODELTOE
HEIGHT (mm)
HEEL HEIGHT
(mm)
SETTING RANGEWEIGHT (g/pr)STANDARD BRAKE SIZES (mm)OPTIONAL BRAKE SIZES (mm)SOLE COMPATIBILITY
SLR 9.0 GW19212.5-9140085[H]DIN, GripWalk
TX 10 GW13213-10165078[J]DIN, GripWalk
AM 12 GW13213.5-12198085, 95, 110[D] 130, 150DIN, GripWalk
Protector SLR 10 GW283-10195080DIN, Gripwalk
Protector SLR11 GW283-111950[N] 80, 90DIN, Gripwalk
Protector PR13 GW27324-132370[P] 85, 95DIN, GripWalk
Protector Attack 13 MN28324-132860[P] 95[P] 85DIN, GripWalk, MN
Attack 11 GW12173-111910[A]85, 95, 110[A] 130, 150DIN, GripWalk
Attack 11 AT17243-111840[A] 85, 95, 110[G]78, 115DIN, GripWalk
Attack 12 GW12173.5-122070[A] 85, 95, 110[A]130, 150DIN, GripWalk
Attack 14 GW12174-142070[A]85, 95, 110[A]130, 150DIN, GripWalk
Attack 14 MN17244-142180*[A]85, 95, 110, 130, 150DIN, GripWalk, MN
Attack 17 GW12176-172190*[A]85, 95, 110, 130, 150DIN, GripWalk
PRW 11 GW (system)27313-11184085[G]78, 90, 100, 115DIN, Gripwalk
PRD 12 GW (system)28333.5-12200085[F]95, 110, 130, 150DIN, Gripwalk
Freeflex Demo 14 GW (demo)17214-14265085[D]95, 110DIN, GripWalk
Attack 11 MN (demo)28323-112370[F]95, 110[F]85, 130, 150DIN, GripWalk, MN
Attack 14 MN (demo)28324-132490[F]95, 110[F]85, 130, 150DIN, GripWalk, MN
*Binding not sold with brakes.
Note: All specs are based on information available at time of publishing and are subject to change. Some of these bindings might be branded as 4FRNT, Elan, Fischer, Kästle, or Liberty. Bracketed letters are brake codes.

SLR 9.0 GW
  • Pluses: Older model updated to add GripWalk. 2mm of Ramp ideal for shorter (sub 275mm) BSL.
  • Minuses: Older model. Even though wider brakes are available, please don't use on skis > 85mm wide
  • Color options: Black/White, White
TX 10 GW
  • Pluses: Diagonal heel
  • Minuses: Older model. Even though wider brakes are available, please don't use on skis > 85mm wide
  • Color options: Black
AM 12 GW
  • Pluses: Diagonal heel, great value
  • Minuses: Tough to find in stock, not all shops are smart enough to see the value.
  • Color options: Matte Black, Matte White
Protector SLR 10 GW
  • Pluses: Light weight. Backwards compatible with Tyrolia SLR rails. Adjustable toe and heel.
  • Minuses: Stand height, a little more difficult to get into than a 3-piece heel
  • Color options: Matt White, Matt Black
  • Others to consider: Kneebinding
Protector SLR 11 GW
  • Pluses: Light weight. Backwards compatible with Tyrolia SLR rails. Adjustable toe and heel.
  • Minuses: Stand height, a little more difficult to get into than a 3-piece heel
  • Color options: Matt White, Matt Black

Protector PR 13 GW
  • Pluses: Only binding with dual lateral release. Backwards compatible with (some) older Tyrolia rails. Adjustable toe and heel.
  • Color options: Ice Grey, Matt Black
Protector Attack 13 MN
  • Pluses: Only binding with dual lateral release. Backwards compatible with (some) older Tyrolia rails. Adjustable toe and heel.
  • Color options: Matt Black
Attack 11 GW
  • Pluses: Delta more in line with rest of Tyrolia collection. Lightweight, very responsive toe, fast return to center. Available as an MN from Fischer but with higher stand height.
  • Minuses: Single stage heel.
  • Color options: Flash Yellow, Solid Black
Attack 12 GW
  • Pluses: New FR Pro3 Toe. Lateral spring toe is compact, fast return to center, best price in segment
  • Minuses: Limited color options
  • Color options: Matte White
Attack 14 GW
  • Pluses: New FR Pro3 Toe. Lateral spring toe is compact, fast return to center, best price in segment
  • Minuses: A high spring 12
  • Color options: Flash Yellow, Solid Black, Green, Red, Matte White, Blue
Attack 14 MN
  • Pluses: New FR Pro3 Toe. Lateral spring toe is compact, fast return to center, accepts all soles
  • Minuses: Taller stand height than other Attack bindings. Will be tough to find in shops, brakes sold a la carte
Attack 17 GW
  • Pluses: New FR Pro3 Toe. Metal wrapped Race Pro FR heel. Lateral spring toe is compact, fast return to center
  • Minuses: Brakes sold a la carte
  • Color options: Black, Blue
Demo/System Bindings

PR 11 GW

• Adjustment range: 255-378 mm
  • Toolless length adjustment: Yes
  • Sole compatibility: DIN, GripWalk
  • Pluses: You can buy extra plates; they come in four-packs
  • Minuses: High stack height
  • Color options: Solid Black
PRD 12 GW
  • Adjustment range: 255-378 mm
  • Toolless length adjustment: Yes
  • Pluses: You can buy extra plates; they come in four-packs
  • Minuses: Very high stack height
  • Color options: Matte White/Black, Matte Black. Matte Black/Yellow, Matte Black/Blue, Matte Black, Green, Matte Black/Red
Freeflex Demo 14 GW
  • Adjustment range: 259-382 mm
  • Toolless length adjustment: Yes w/manual toe height
  • Pluses: Low stand height
  • Minuses: There are brake options but binding works best on a hard-snow specific ski
  • Color options: Black/White, Flash Yellow/Black
Attack 11 MN Demo
  • Sole compatibility: DIN, GripWalk, WTR, MNC
  • Pluses: Accepts all soles
  • Minuses: Brake no longer stays on plate
Attack 14 MN Demo
  • Pluses: Accepts all soles
  • Minuses: Brake no longer stays on plate, high stand height
Protector Attack 13 MN Demo
  • Pluses: ONLY demo binding with lateral release from the heel. Accepts all soles.
  • Minuses: High stand height

David

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Skier
The Protector says it's a little more difficult to step into than a 3 piece heel. Can anyone explain what is a 3 piece heel and the difference between the two? I've tried searching this with no luck.

tomahawkins

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The Protector says it's a little more difficult to step into than a 3 piece heel. Can anyone explain what is a 3 piece heel and the difference between the two? I've tried searching this with no luck.
I think they are referring to either a single cam or a twin cam design. Single cam: SPX, Pivot, Griffon/Jester, Protector, and lots of low DIN entry level bindings. Twin cam: nearly everything else. The Atomic X12 are my favorite bindings to step into. Patiently waiting for them to rollout a side release variant. Until then, Protector.

It'd be nice to see a good CAD animation of the workings of a twin cam design.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I consider Twin cam bindings more progressive than single cam bindings, but they can also be more difficult to step into. While single cam bindings more intuitive and easier to step into, but they may not release as easily at higher DIN settings...

:huh:

David

Skier
Uhmm, I think single cam bindings are not just for beginners, and twin cam bindings are not just for experts.

I find the main difference between single cam and twin cam bindings is the way they release. Single cam bindings release when the heel lifts up, while twin cam bindings release when the heel lifts up and the toe rotates.

I consider Twin cam bindings more progressive than single cam bindings, but they can also be more difficult to step into. While single cam bindings more intuitive and easier to step into, but they may not release as easily at higher DIN settings...

Cheers,
Emma
I think you'd want the heal to release based on force not if the toe rotates. But I'm not an engineer either... ‍♂️

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Have noticed even the Tyrolia website has always been wrong(and repeated here) about the Attack 17 GW weight per pair. It’s actually 2290gr for the pair. Someone hit a 1 instead of 2 a few years ago and it’s still listed that way. The previous Attack 16 GW was 2320gr a set and with the new open heel lever, the new 17 is SLIGHTLY lighter now. Was nervous the 17 GW lost a lot of weight but have weighed my last 3 pairs and all at 2290gr.

Also the listed toe height should be 12-15mm on all the Attack 11, 12, 14, 17 GW as they are adjustable and are 14mm plus high after properly adjusting.

PupManS

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I think they are referring to either a single cam or a twin cam design. Single cam: SPX, Pivot, Griffon/Jester, Protector, and lots of low DIN entry level bindings. Twin cam: nearly everything else. The Atomic X12 are my favorite bindings to step into. Patiently waiting for them to rollout a side release variant. Until then, Protector.

It'd be nice to see a good CAD animation of the workings of a twin cam design.
NOTHING locks in like the Neox heel. Hippopotamus jaws!

I gave them up when I got off Atomic system skis, but I never minded the weight. Good thing, because now I'm moving to protectors, which might be even heavier.

Henry

Out on the slopes
Skier
Or call them a single pivot or double pivot binding:
double pivot (3 piece/twin cam); the 3 parts are the ski base part, the heel lug part, and the handle:
1694200224433.png

single pivot (2 piece/one cam); the 2 parts are the ski base part and the combined heel lug & handle part.

1694200281393.png

I think the double pivot heels are easier in and out. Both types release straight up (that's how they're tested), and the Protector and Kneebinding also release laterally.

David

Skier
double pivot (3 piece/twin cam); the 3 parts are the ski base part, the heel lug part, and the handle:
View attachment 210740

single pivot (2 piece/one cam); the 2 parts are the ski base part and the combined heel lug & handle part.

View attachment 210741

I think the double pivot heels are easier in and out. Both types release straight up (that's how they're tested), and the Protector and Kneebinding also release laterally.
Well now that makes perfect sense! I've had both over the years and never knew.

tomahawkins

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
View attachment 210740

View attachment 210741

I'm wondering why the twin cam design is easier to step into. From the boot's perspective, it only sees one cam. The second cam is just for releasing and reseting the binding. If the 3-piece and 2-piece configurations used the same primary cam design, the step in should be the same. Some 2-piece bindings have the same forward sliding cam that the 3-piece employs, e.g. Look NX and Attack 11, I believe.

abdul

Putting on skis
Skier
Question on the Freeflex Demo 14 GW delta or toe height... is it 4mm delta (17mm height) when using alpine soles and approx. 1.5mm delta (19.5mm height) using GW? Or is it the other way around? (Tyrolia's specs show a "ramp angle" of 1.5 which i think is the top of the toe to the top of the heel, so trying to figure out what it is in real life with alpine soles)

Last edited:

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Question on the Freeflex Demo 14 GW delta or toe height... is it 4mm delta (17mm height) when using alpine soles and approx. 1.5mm delta (19.5mm height) using GW? Or is it the other way around? (Tyrolia's specs show a "ramp angle" of 1.5 which i think is the top of the toe to the top of the heel, so trying to figure out what it is in real life with alpine soles)
Think it’s 21mm heel and 19.5mm toe(doesn’t move with GW or regular Alpine sole) with this binding.
Maybe the 17mm was the toe height in the previous non GW version as I have only seen the 19.5mm and 21mm specs from Tyrolia.

summit-teach

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Does Freeflex Demo 14 GW with manual toe height mean the delta can be adjusted to be flat? Also, the website says it can be mounted on all Head/Tyrolia plates, does it mean it can be mounted on PowerRail? Thanks!

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

drew.sanderson

Booting up
Skier
I wish they would release a protector attack that screws right in, lowering the stand height, instead of the rental rail

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I wish they would release a protector attack that screws right in, lowering the stand height, instead of the rental rail
The rail isn't what is creating the height, it is the Protector mechanism that is under the heel. Tyrolia might be able to save 4-5mm w/o the plate but not much more.

drew.sanderson

Booting up
Skier
The rail isn't what is creating the height, it is the Protector mechanism that is under the heel. Tyrolia might be able to save 4-5mm w/o the plate but not much more.
I have the protector mounted on my wife's Black Pearl 88s. I kinda grown at that rental rail every time I see it.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I have the protector mounted on my wife's Black Pearl 88s. I kinda grown at that rental rail every time I see it.
It is not a rental, It is the same rail system and height that is on the Supershape collection.

Frenchman

Troublemaker
Skier
Is that Supershape rail different than the demo one? In pictures at least they look very close. Rails are fine but Tyrolia really managed to make theirs so unfinished looking compared to other brands that have end caps or other cosmetic looking features that it seems they forgot to finish it.

Lvovsky /Pasha/Pavel

i hiked the ridge... twice...
Skier
@Philpug I measured delta on my Attack14 to be 2mm. Am I measuring it wrong or the data in the table subject manufacturer caveats?

For what it’s worth, two Attack13 measured 2mm, and Attack13 Demo measured 1mm. Using digital caliper. Measuring from ski base to top of AFD and to top of heel piece where the boot sole sits.

And thank you for putting the data tables together.

Sponsor

Staff online